The newly-renamed "Out of the Archives" Series are intimate events featuring focused topics, lively discussions, and selected photos and documents from the History Project Archives.
All events in this series are held at The History Project, 29 Stanhope Street in Boston, unless otherwise noted.
Events typically run from 6:00 to 8:00 pm and are free and open to the public. RSVPs are required.
Upcoming Out of the Archives
Gay Men's Leather Community History of Boston & New England
Note the later start time!
7:00 to 9:00 pm, Thursday, Feb 23, 2017
Please join Scott Erickson on a trip down memory lane of Boston / New England Gay Men's Leather Community. This talk will feature the items from the collection of the History Project in Boston.
This event is free and open to the public, but space is limited!
RSVPs are required, via Eventbrite
Connect with us on Facebook to find out more!
Previous "Out of the Archives" topics included...
- March: TBD
- Apr 20: Bill Holden on the Harvard connection in his horror novel, Crimson Souls
- May 4: Amy Hoffman on Bad Attitude magazine
- May 22: Michael H. Ward on his memoir, The Sea Is Quiet Tonight, about the early days of the AIDS epidemic in Boston
- Jan 2017: Other Space: A Science Fiction Love Story, with Taj Smith
- Nov 2016: Gayme Night! Explore and play different LGBTQ-themed board games from our archives
- Oct 2016: Roger & Frank Revisited: Gay Life & Love in the 1950s & 1960s, with Robert Young
- Sept 2016: Soapbox to San Quentin: Lesbian Firebrand Marie Equi, with Michael Helquist
- May 2016: Provincetown LGBT History in a Nutshell, with Steve Desroches
- April 2016: Boston's Unseen Queer Religious History, with Sage Moses
- March 2016: Boston's South End: The Clash of Ideas in a Historic Neighborhood, with Russ Lopez
- February 2016: Curious Boys and Odd Girls: Erotica in the Archives, with Joan Ilacqua and Dave White
- January 2016: THP'S Drag Collections
- Nov 2015: Am Tikva, Boston's LGBT Synagogue
- Oct 22, 2015: OLE! (Older Lesbian Energy)
- Sept 24, 2015: Boston Bar Culture
- May 28, 2015: Boston's Gaylaxians
- Apr 16, 2015: The Queerzines of Papercut Zine Library
- Mar 19, 2015: "The longest four miles of our life..." GLiB and the St. Patrick's Day Parade of 1992
- Feb 19, 2015: Revolutionary Beginnings: The Coors Boycott and the Birth of the LGBT Labor Movement 1966-1987, with Gerry Scoppetuolo
- Jan. 22, 2015: Gay motorcycle clubs, with Scott Erickson
Items from the Tom Kanar collection
Out for the Count: LGBT Organizing and Socializing around Sports in Boston
Letters from GCN's Prisoner Project
The Boston Phoenix's 'One in Ten'
Halloween Masks and Masquerades